BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 1, 2009

Taking a Stand


Last weekend I met a dear friend at “The Only Place in Town” in Sierra Madre to eat lunch.  While we were well on our way to while away the afternoon, our serenity was painfully disrupted by a man carrying a large white pet bird (cockatiel?).  If you know me, you know that just the mere casual onset of such a pair is enough to make me a wee bit uncomfortable (okay maybe enough to push my friends into the path of the beast preserving my own safety).  I lost control however, when the man and his very offensive pet stopped at “The Only Place in Town” and were seated at the all too close next table.  I insisted on us moving to the extreme end of the patio but still was unable to reclaim my enjoyment of the atmosphere and company. 

While paying at the register, I shared somewhat emphatically with the restaurant’s staff my frustration at the entire situation.  The staff of the “The Only Place in Town” understood and expressed their shared annoyance with this very unusual man who is a frequent customer and regular around town in Sierra Madre.  They described his treatment of the bird as being very bizarre over and above the strangeness of bringing a bona-fide exotic pet to a place where some might have trouble with even a more conventional pet’s patronage.

To make matters worse, the next day while dining at an open air restaurant in Seal Beach, much to my horror, another large white pet bird arrived.  Fortunately, this foul creature was not as close as its Sierra Madre counterpart, but his owner curiously left him on a news paper stand to roam about at will.  In fact, the bird was single-handedly (clawedly?) causing quite a scene – squawking and generally moving about – in  a venue I think it would be safe to say passer bys would not normally expect to see such a bird.  This dreadful bird was left on his makeshift perch for well over an hour another damning entry onto my ledger of the general mental health of bird owners. 

Dogs are one thing, and while although I love dogs, I do understand the discomfort some might feel when they are paraded through restaurants and other public places.  However, we must draw the line at allowing birds to be allowed in public places.  They are not normal pets to take on walks or just generally to be brought out and about.  I completely disagree with them as pets but respect others habit but prefer to not ever visit their homes and believe they ought to remain in their cages.   And in an era when so few people will take a stand on anything, I believe the no pet birds in public places is a noble line in the sand I invite you to make for yourself.  

2 comments:

Cafe Observer said...

Hmmm..., I don't recall seeing this weird bird man in Sierra Madre. Do you recall what you ate at TOPIT?

Don't know about Seal Beach.

What are you trying to say about us dogs!?

How long have you been seeing these things?

Stacy said...

I support you! NO PET BIRDS IN PUBLIC PLACES. That is disgusting. If you want a bird (and i don't know why one would want a bird), then you can keep it at your own place. Birds belong in the sky, not at local restaurants!! b