BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Laker hater?


I don’t like the LA Lakers.  I know for my fellow Angelinos out there, this will be ire invoking.  For my family, simply hasn’t come to terms with it – the elephant in the room.  I wonder if this is what gay people who “come out” only to have their loved one still set them up with members of the opposite sex. 

My dad in particular will often ask me if I watched the game even despite us having the talk about my Laker preference.  My oldest brother gave me a Laker tee-shirt to commemorate their 2001 championship in what I think was his attempt to change my mind about the Lakers.  It didn’t. 

I grew up in a sports family.  Our family’s routine often revolved around sports.  Monday night football meant dinner during half-time.  Of course, the NFL was just as much of Thanksgiving fixture at our house as turkey and stuffing.  I swam with Vin Scully and Orel Hershiser in the summers.  Well it felt like that because my dad was always listening to the Dodger game on his cordless AM radio poolside. You get the point. 

For the most part, I have followed suit in my devotion to sports – I love the Dodgers, the USC Trojans and March Madness.  I deviated a bit by becoming a fan of the Green Bay Packers but at least I know they will never move to another city.  However, I never really got on board when it came to becoming a fan of the Lakers. 

And so tonight as the Lakers clinched the championship, I am glad the NBA season is over.  I am glad the finals have not stretched any longer than the eight months it already is.  I am glad the sports pages will no longer be plastered with pictures of Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant. And most of all I am glad the Laker flags will go back into the closets of Laker fans hopeful to soon be replaced by either USC flags or Dodger flags.  

2 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

I didn't grown up with sports. I didn't even know there was a game tonight.

Cafe Pasadena said...

When did this illness of hatred begin? Jen, have you sought professional help? Know that we care & you're in our prayers.

Until then, while you continue to have this irrational emotional response for one of our the L.A. teams, I can see you at least like the Laker players individually. Although I can understand if people are plastering you with pictures of the Lakers, then even I would be annoyed.

As you know, J, I too am with you in wanting to see those USC flags raised up as well - but next time for Basketball - rather than football!!

Have an wunderful, stressfree week!