BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Baseball Coaches


Okay, yesterday’s post was painfully long.  Thank you for those of you who hung in there but I resolve to next time divide such a verbose piece.  I am kicking around an idea about Superman that will likely be a multiple post piece to spare you all from reading more than 500 words. 

So onto tonight’s brief thought, earlier tonight my roommate coaxed me into switching over from the Dodger’s game to the Laker game (and of course, as I hate the Lakers and have been a bad luck charm for years, they lost).  But I couldn’t help but be reminded of a profound difference between Baseball and all other sports – namely revolving around the attire of the coaches. 

Consider Phil Jackson (and all other NBA coaches), he is manicured, polished clad in a sophisticated suit a generally fitting ensemble for a middle-aged, professional.  Now consider our beloved Joe Torre – Dodger Team jacket and, this is the part I most disagree with, the very same type of pants the players themselves wear.  Are they officially called sliding pants? I mean really, Joe are you going to be sliding into home any time soon?  And pity, pity, pity those members of the coaching staff who shop in the big and tall stores. 

I get that baseball coaches, in certain instances take the field (namely base coaches) so it might be necessary for them to wear cleats.  And I also concede, they don’t need to go as far as Phil Jackson. Perhaps something more along the lines of what football coaches wear might be more suitable?  Khaki pants and a team shirt, jacket or hybrid of the two?  

3 comments:

ben wideman said...

And by rule they are supposed to have the actual team jersey on under their jacket - some have recently got into trouble for not quite following this to the letter.

I like it! What other sport does the head coach wear the uniform? Makes baseball unique in my opinion.

Oh, and khaki's and a polo is reserved for the team trainer and medical staff.

likenarnia said...

why haven't other people noticed this??

Cafe Observer said...

Why? Bcuz, Ben is a baseball fanatic! Even hockey takes 2nd to baseball for this Canadian! I wanna call it his religion.