BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 16, 2009

Manny Ramirez, a freeway series and domestic violence


As a much needed diversion from boxes, researching appliances and trolling Craig’s list, today I will be at Chavez Ravine for a game that hopefully goes better than last night’s. And hopefully better than the NLCS game I went to in 2008. With all of this talk of a freeway series looming, I suppose we ought to worry about winning the pennant first.

I was, as probably many other Dodger fans were, ecstatic when Manny Ramirez hit a homerun last night – perhaps the slump is finally over? I can’t help but wonder every time Manny is up to bat if my feeling is at all similar to what women in abusive relationships feel right before their partner’s come home. (I know I just lost most of my readers right there.) This feeling is amplified at the stadium – Mannywood in our line of sight, #99 jerseys are everywhere and the ubiquitous dred lock wigs – but as he heads to the plate, I know I feel a twinge of, “this time it is going to be different,” and instead of striking out, the Manny we fell in love with last season, pre-suspension, will, well return. How we all loved saying and celebrating Manny being Manny last year. Today, I hope instead of striking out, Manny doesn’t let us down and things continue to be different.

Don’t think I am not also very aware that our Trojans are in South Bend gearing up to beat the Irish. And will Obama hang with W this weekend? It is the most wonderful time of year, indeed.

5 comments:

ben wideman said...

Oh man, last night's game was a heartbreaker. All three Phillies HR were hit at exactly the wrong time. It sure was a game of what could have been. And after game two of last series, I just assumed that the Dodgers would pull out the win in any case.

Cafe Pasadena said...

The Dodgers just couldn't get a key hit in game 1. Things were different in the 2nd game!!

I think the old Manny will never return. He's now off the juice, and so his power is off. Besides, he's getting closer to 40 yrs.

Michael Coppess said...

Maybe CP's right. Last time at the stadium, I sat next to a guy wearing a t-shirt that read "JuanPierreWood".

Hey, when are you picking your avocados?

likenarnia said...

How about Andre Eitherwood?

Avocado picking has begun, escrow has closed and the house is officially mine. Move in this week. ready for guacomole recipes.

Cafe Pasadena said...

Thank God 4 The Tiny Luck of The Trojans! Without which, we woodn't have any.