BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, March 7, 2009

salsa lessons


I know I am slow in my blogging these days...

While in Cozumel last week, Mexico my friend and I stumbled upon a beach front bar offering Salsa Lessons and live music.  In truth, we came in for a drink and the hopes of finding out where there might be fun things happening in a city so foreign to us.  Imagine our surprise when an amiable local invited us to join in a Salsa lesson she was beginning momentarily.  We asked two questions – (A) Did it matter we were two women without male partners? and (B) Was it free? She answered, at least in what I understood, no to lack of partners and yes to it being free (gratis). 

We happily joined the ten or so others – a hodgepodge of expats, locals working in the tourist industry and friends of the establishment.  I must digress while my friend is an above average dancer having taken many dance classes in her day; I am not one to flourish in structured dance lessons.  In fact, when we signed up for ballroom dance classes a while back I, without exaggeration, got kicked out on the behest of another student and the teacher.  This is not to say I am not a good dancer, in fact I routinely get compliments on my dance ability when in a free form setting. 

After the dance lesson was over, we returned to our original table and it was clear to me I was no closer to mastering Salsa than before the class started but was happy to have joined in meeting some interesting friends.  We were looking forward to the band that was to arrive shortly.  We ordered another round of drinks trying to absorb the last night of our fun-filled vacation when our teacher stopped over to our table to demand our payment for the class. 

Of course the conversation started out nicely – but quickly got uncomfortable.  We never agreed to pay for Salsa lessons and understood the lesson to be free.  She insisted she told us no such thing and we needed to fork over the fee for the class like the rest of the students.  A man wearing all white and filled to the brim with Machismo we understood to be the owner came over to help rectify the misunderstanding.  Yes, indeed we needed to pay our fee for the class we took he confirmed.  We got our bill for our drinks deciding to just leave frustrated at the whole misunderstanding but confident we ought to stand our ground. 

Without exaggeration, the owner followed us up the walkway, blocking our exit and at one point grabbing my arm as to prevent me from going any further.  My friend was outraged – she got into more of a direct conflict the owner offering an ultimatum – what are you going to do, call the cops? she asked.  Yes, he pulled out his cell phone and called someone he obviously seemed to know all the while remaining in a position that effectively blocked us from exiting. 

Around this time, one of the other class members an ex-pat who sold time shares came over and we updated him on the whole scene.  The teacher and the owner had pulled the same stunt on the entire class and even though we stuck to our guns his entire group had begrudgingly paid the fees.  In truth, I think he was envious/proud of us for having such resolve and took it upon himself to be our agent a fire further fueled when I told him the owner had grabbed my arm.  As all but one of his group members left, he confronted the owner claiming he knew the other silent and absent owner.    The owner who was obviously just as stubborn as us was unchanged by our ex-pat agent friend’s passion. 

Sure enough the Mexican police, who I have lived most of my life fearing, dropped by and long before either my friend or I, the alleged criminals in this situation could speak to any of them both our ex-pat agent and the owner spoke at great lengths with them.  In fact, we were so irritated at the lack of access to the police we decided to go over and plead our case in so doing, the owner again blocked us a pivotal moment demonstrating how we had been held hostage the entire time. 

After much going back and forth, the police finally freed us to go. The first moral of the story – if you are ever in Cozumel, don’t take salsa lessons at Lapalapita.  The second moral of the story – stick to your guns no matter what. 

13 comments:

Cafe Pasadena said...

What a coincidence, your blog is looking better than ever now!
I pray this is a good story - NOT a true story. Otherwise, "Jennifer I don't think we're in Naria anymore!"

Troy and Kimberly said...

Thirs moral of the story - take Stacy with you on your vacations, she's tougher than any man!

Sarah said...

Did the police have their big rifles?

Ha.

Eek!

Güera_In_Cozumel said...

I am sorry but I know that this story is not true...at least not the way you told it. I am one of the ex-pats you speak about that goes to La Palapita on a regular basis. I also send my clients there. Myself and many, many other business owners on the island frequent La Palapita and refer our clients there. I have lived on la isla for 4+ years (and have been coming to Cozumel for 15 years) and ever since that time, salsa lessons have ALWAYS been free (gratis). They even have a sign that advertises FREE salsa lessons (on Fridays) and it is in all their print advertising and on Facebook in English and in Spanish.

I also personally know both owners very well (one is American and one is Mexican) and if someone blocked you from leaving, it is because you either shorted the waiter on your check or you tried to walk out without paying your bill. (Perhaps you forgot that you had a tab at the bar also, when you moved to a table??) My point is, it is very irresponsible of you to post something like this and it is harmful to very hardworking, honest individuals trying to earn a living when the economy has been so down.

La Palapita is one of our favorite hangouts and there is a REASON that so many ex-pats and Mexicans as well, frequent their establishment. If what you said was true, we would never return and word would spread about these practices on our little island and their business would suffer.

If you are going to visit another country it is useful and socially responsible to at least try and learn a little conversational Spanish so that you can understand and ask questions! There is usually at least 80% English speaking patrons and it is YOUR responsibility to understand or at the very least ask a question or ask someone to interpret for you. You said in your blog that you were not sure what the woman said to you.
The bartender that always works there on Salsa night speaks and writes fluent English.

Try to remember that you are a guest visiting in a Spanish speaking country!

Anonymous said...

Jenny this story is true -- cops, crazy owner and no free lessons.

Güera_In_Cozumel said...

You have to remember that when alcohol is involved, many things are not remembered in their entirety. The owner Isaac, is hardly "crazy" and is president of the Cozumel Chamber of Commerce.

You are still missing a VERY important point. Even if they were charging for the salsa lesson, which they do NOT, it was YOUR responsibility to understand that. If you didn't comprehend (and the author alludes to that) you should have asked someone.

You are a visitor in another country and the responsibility to understand or at least try to communicate falls on your shoulders. However, most proprietors on the island go out of their way to make sure you understand, even when the tourists, do not bother with the simplest of Spanish phrases. I suppose when you go to a Mexican restaurant and they show you a bottle of wine, you will think it is gratis too, si?

I find it funny that the author, who lives in the U.S., states that she has "lived in fear" of the Mexican police all her life.
Hmmmmm.

Stacy said...

Who is this Jenny girl? Seems like someone who has a vested interest in the reputation of La Palipita and/or Cozumel as a whole and is looking to defend negative press. Unless Jenny you are a fan of Like Narnia's blog because of the other content. It seems rude and pompous to come to someone else's blog that you don't know and tell them they are a liar and preach to them how they should behave in another country. I was with the author of this blog and every part was true. We could put both put our resumes on there of international travel, living overseas, language capacity and professions which speak to our honesty and integrity, but we really don't have to. I am assuming you won't find this blog again since you don't follow it unless I put LA PALITIPA. Now, you'll find it :)

Stacy said...

Who is this Jenny girl? Seems like someone who has a vested interest in the reputation of La Palipita and/or Cozumel as a whole and is looking to defend negative press. Unless Jenny you are a fan of Like Narnia's blog because of the other content. It seems rude and pompous to come to someone else's blog that you don't know and tell them they are a liar and preach to them how they should behave in another country. I was with the author of this blog and every part was true. We could put both put our resumes on there of international travel, living overseas, language capacity and professions which speak to our honesty and integrity, but we really don't have to. I am assuming you won't find this blog again since you don't follow it unless I put LA PALITIPA. Now, you'll find it :)

Anonymous said...

I do not believe the purpose of a blog is to "confront" the author on the veracity of this experience. Clearly these events took place. As an international traveler myself, it is sadly occasionally an agenda of local business to overcharge or misconstrue costs for items in order to take advantage of tourists. Although you do not want to believe this Jenny, it happens, and the author of this blog is in no way lying.

Güera_In_Cozumel said...

Lo siento! I was NOT saying that it was a lie, just not true in it's entirety and yes, many others were witness to it.

Stacy, you are a little naive to think that anyone's blog is private. Your comments are out there for anyone on the Internet to see so you do have a responsibility to make sure that the story you tell is accurate in it's entirety if you are going to imply that an establishment is trying to rip you off.

It is only rude and pompous when such "world travelers" as yourselves, write a story that is not true in it's entirety and can't take even the smallest bit of responsibility for misinterpreting what someone says to you when you don't speak the language of the country that you are traveling in. Now, THAT, is rude and pompous and what gives most of us Americans a bad name. I just love that sense of entitlement!

I live there, I have no interest in the business, except as a patron. I love Cozumel, so yes, I do have an interest.

Volver a los Estados Unidos por favor, hasta que se puede viajar con mejores modales. Besos! :-)

likenarnia said...

Jenny, we are really lucky to have a someone like you to correct us. I am glad you stumbled upon my blog which by definition is not at all private but for the most part get "hits" by my real life friends not well versed, cosmopolitan good Samaritans like you.

I am truly blessed by all of the advice i have received from you as I am otherwise an inexperienced, naive, irresponsible, pompous, ugly american type who routinely gets into conflicts in foreign countries. do you offer any sort of workshops or seminars I can attend before I dare travel outside the US?

And along the same lines, are you hoping to start a mandatory course before we pesky, brusque, unrefined and generally annoying (American) tourists are able to visit cites like your beloved Cozumel? I am sure the local economy wouldn't at all be impacted as it struck me as very diversified and quite removed from the tourism industry. In truth, we hardly saw any cruise ships (which even if we did, I am positive those travelers are, unlike us, very sophisticated and culturally sensitive in international travel), senor frogs type establishments, american chain restaurants or places that sold hamburgers.

Maybe i would be better off sticking to more traditional destinations that cater to tourists -- perhaps Burma, Ukraine, Peru, Kenya, etc would be a better fit for someone like me struggling with a deep seated sense of entitlement? I am anxious to learn more wisdom from you to help me become a better, more responsible person.

But, can you give me specific names of these mexican restaurants that offer free (is it gray-tis?) wine, because as you can imagine I really like wine (and all booze)?

I'd love to learn more about

Crippy said...

I think Jenny was the lady trying to dupe you into the "free" salsa lessons! Let's all put "La Palapita" on our blogs and see how long it takes her to leave her little bits of wisdom there. GO!

Güera_In_Cozumel said...

Like I said, I just live on the island. You can not tell by my writing that i am Amercian? lol
There are two teachers who teach salsa lessons. One is from Cuba and the other is from the U.S. You obviously spoke to the woman from Cuba. Great dancer!! I wish she were me because I am still painfully learning salsa and their style from Mexico. Of course, there are many different styles in various countries.

Anyway. I did learn that she does teach salsa and she charges $5.00 for the lessons. So perhaps that was the confusion and she was teaching that night. Anyway, all this over not wanting to pay $5.00 for salsa lessons??

P-R-I-C-E-L-E-S-S!!