BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, December 28, 2009

A Year in Pages

At the start of 2009 I tried my very best to read American Pastoral but never finished. I carried it around to places, got affirmation from hip people (as an aside, I recently learned from a twelve year-old that hip people don’t say hip) but one hundred pages into it, I just couldn’t do it. But I was able to knock off the list below (including a few others I never finished) with stars (five being best…

American Pastoral (never finished)

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
, two stars

Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
(I was in a Chinese phase), four and half stars

Rain of Gold, four and three quarters stars

White Oleander
, four and half stars

Ham on Rye,(not by choice, it was a book club selection)negative sixteen stars

Wonder Boys
, three stars

Hope’s Boy, three stars

The Same Kind of Different as Me
, three and half stars

A Love Undetected
(never finished…)

The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love
, four and half stars

Losing my Religion
, three and half stars

About a Boy, three and quarter stars

Jayber Crow, four stars

The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
, five stars

The Unlikely Disciple
, three stars

The Time Traveler’s Wife
, three and half stars

The White Tiger, three and a quarter stars

Olive Kitteridge
, four stars

Homeland (never finished…)

Wishing and Hoping
, in process…

Next year, I’ll read more and I’ll keep you guys posted as I go along.

3 comments:

pasadenapio said...

That's quite a list! Be sure to read our 2010 One City One Story novel, "Gardens of Water".

Cafe Pasadena said...

That is quite a list !!

In what format(s) did you read these?

Brenda Lee said...

what? negative stars? is ham on Rye the first Bukowski you have ever read. I have read like 8+ of his books and I love them. Do you think your expectations were too high? Did you know anything about him before you started Ham? We need to discuss dear cousin!